Digital impressions replace the traditional goopy impression material that was used to take molds of the teeth.
What are digital impressions?
Digital impressions (also known as 3-D intraoral scanning) are the latest technology in capturing a replica of the mouth. By using a wand-like tool connected to a computer and advanced software, we can create a virtual model of your mouth. These replicas are more accurate than a mold and can be used for a variety of needs. After taking a scan of the mouth, we can immediately send the digital impression to the lab where dentures, crowns, bridges and retainers can be made quickly and accurately.
What are the benefits of digital impressions?
- Less messy and more pleasant than goopy traditional impression material.
- More comfortable and pleasant for patients with a severe gag reflex or sensitive teeth.
- More accurate than traditional impressions.
- Reduces the time patients are in the chair.
- Faster turnaround times for crowns, Invisalign®, implant restorations, dentures, partial dentures and other dental appliances.